Everyone is aware of the fact that moon is a satellite of Earth and we are all accustomed with the eternal fact. But the question that has arisen at present is whether moon will there be as a satellite of Earth for long or it will repeat the fate of mercury and became an independent planet, leaving Earth to face its doom.
As per the version of Gennady Raykunov, the General Director, Central Research Institute of Mechanical Engineering, there every likelihood of the Moon repeating the fate of Mercury, which was once a satellite of Venus because of the following reasons.
1) The Moon is moving away from Earth’s orbit every year.
2) If there be no reverse process it will ultimately leave Earth’s orbit
3) The Moon moves round the Earth in an orbit, similar to the elliptical Counter – Clockwise with an average speed of 1.02 Kilometres per second. Truly speaking, the natural satellite’s movement is a complex process influenced by various disturbances such as attraction of the Sun, Planets and Earth’s oblate shape.
According to him, in case Moon leaves Earth’s orbit, the Earth shall have no existence of living creatures, because of the aggressive atmosphere, great pressure, green house effects etc.
The above views, expressed by the scientist Gennady Raykunov has been confirmed by some and opposed by others, which are as follows.
1) Sergei Popov, a researcher attached with the State Astronomical Institute of Moscow State university of Sternberg (SAI) has expressed the view that Moon is practically moving away from Earth very slowly and such movement or escape rate is approximately 38 millimetres per year. In several billion years, the escape will rise by 150 percent.
According to him, the Moon cannot completely go away or escape from Earth’s orbit, as because it has no energy of its own for such escape.
2) Another employee, Vladimir Surdin of SAI was of the view that even this escape of the Moon from Earth will not last for a long time and eventually the satellite will again approach planet Earth. As per his version under the influence of solar tides, rotational speed of the planet is gradually reduced and the rate of escape of the satellite will gradually decrease. After approximately five billion years, the radius of the lunar orbit would reach a maximum value – 463 thousand kilometres and the Earth’s day’s duration would increase to 870 hours.
According to him, it is not true that Moon will leave Earth’s orbit and become an independent planet as because solar tides will continue to inhibit the Earth. Now the Moon will outstrip the Earth’s rotation and tidal friction will slowdown its motion as a result of which the Moon will approach the Earth very slowly.
With regard to the version that there will be no existence of life on Earth as a result of escape of Moon from Earth’s orbit, it is argued by some noted scientists that, even if we imagine that Moon is no longer a satellite of the Earth, it still will not turn Earth in to a lifeless resemblance of Venus, as because the conditions on the surface of the moon have little effect on Earth. It is true that there will be no ebbs and tides, nights will be moonless, but still we will survive!
Another reason of disagreement with the views Of Gennady Raykunov is that the development of Earth and Venus cannot be the same, as the atmosphere of the Venus is enriched with heavy isotope of hydrogen – deuterium.
In short, it can be said that there is nothing to be panicky about this, as we will be able walk under the moon for at least five billion years.